Camp Chop’s Approach to Summer 2021
In looking toward Summer 2021, there is much we know and much we can’t know yet about how camp will operate. We are optimistic because of the successful experiences of many residential camps that operated all over the US in 2020. Through research of those camp preparations and execution along with increased knowledge available on COVID mitigation protocols, our team is diligently working on plans and procedures to operate a safe and substantive summer program for our campers.
Here is an overview of our strategies in looking toward Summer 2021:
Open Communication with our Families
- Summer 2020: We were in constant communication with our enrolled 2020 families throughout the spring, listening to their concerns while giving updates on our plans. We stayed patient for as long as we could but ultimately made the difficult but necessary decision to postpone our summer at Camp Chop. We couldn’t have been more in awe of the support and understanding our families displayed during this challenging period. Over fifty percent of our families selected to roll their deposits to 2021, reinforcing their commitment to giving their child the life-changing experience Camp Chop historically delivers.
- We look to maintain open and transparent communication with our current and prospective families as we continue to evaluate best practices and program adjustments. As we have new information, we will share on our website and via emails.
- The program will not be the same as in the past. We are excited to imagine ways to safely operate the vast majority of our on-site activities and continue to keep the spirit of Camp Chop.
- We are working with local and national organizations to learn best practices for our specialized programs.
- Potential changes may include:
- Reduced capacity
- Housing groups and cohorts
- Keep activities on-site on our 406 acre property
- Increased activities outdoors
- Restricted camp visitor policy
- Masks and face coverings for indoor activities
- Food service adjustments
- Activity options
Health & Safety Considerations
As it is every year, the health and safety of our campers and staff are top priority. We know additional mitigation protocols will need to be in place to best reduce the risk of exposure.
We want to be clear that the safest option is for everyone to shelter at home. There is a risk in any gathering including camp. However for some, the isolation carries it’s own set of risk. Only you as a parent can weigh the options for your family and we are here if camp is the right choice.
With the guidance from the American Camp Association (ACA) Field Guide as well as state and local health department, we will be focusing on setting up compliance procedures for the following:
We will continue to update this page and notify our camp community as we have more specific information in the coming months. In the meantime, please contact John Swanwick at email@example.com for any questions or concerns. While we might not have the answer yet for every question, we are happy to talk with you and give our insights.
We understand that decision making at this time with so much uncertainty is difficult and we know Summer 2021 will be more important than ever! We are looking forward to seeing all of the faces that we missed last summer and know that just being together in a place that means so much to everyone will be the much needed healing needed from a tumultuous year.
Summer 2020 Update Video: